Plate Coral (Montipora capricornis)
- Additional names
valid name: Montipora capricornis Veron, 1985
- Live specimens in Aquarium
class: Anthozoa (Corals)
order: Scleractinia (Stony Corals)
family: Acroporidae (Acroporidae)
genus: Montipora (Montipora)
- Sometimes common on tropical coral reefs. Found at a range of depths from 5 to 25 m.
- Range & distribution
- Shallow waters in the Red Sea, and Indo-Pacific from eastern Indonesia to Fiji and the Great Barrier Reef.
- planktivore: polyps feed on plankton but also use symbiotic zooxanthellae (micro-algae) to maximize energy consumption of waste products through photosynthesis.
- Endangered status
- Related sites and places
- Record created 2011-07-30 by RSHEPHERD
- Record last updated 2013-07-29 by JAW