Horniman Youth Panel: be heard and make a real difference to what goes on at the Horniman Museum and Gardens
The Horniman Youth Panel, launched in summer 2010, has become an important part of the Horniman. Young people between the ages of 14 and 19 from all over London meet up regularly on Thursdays. We want young people’s voices to be heard and make a real difference to what goes on in the Horniman Museum.
So if you’re interested - get involved!
How to get involved
If you’re aged 14 to 19, want to get your voice heard in the Horniman Museum or gain experience in producing and marketing youth events, then join us at our next meeting to see how you can shake things up.
Saturday 25 March 2017
The Youth Panel take over the Museum for a day of family fun, animal arts and crafts with artist Hannah Cushion, intriguing stories with Margaret Bateson-Hill and more. Inspired by our popular family-friendly exhibition The Robot Zoo and organised by the Youth Panel.
Here are some examples of what the Horniman Youth Panel has been getting up to:
- Night of Light - 22 November 2014 - the Youth Panel returned to take over the museum for the fifth year running
- Creating soundmaps and spectograms in the Horniman Gardens - read about it and hear recordings on the blog
- Hypothermia - 30 November 2013 - the Youth Panel took over for the fourth year running to programme the coolest night of the year, with a pop-up club night, live bands, acoustic set, chill out room and free photobooth.
- Viva El Horniman - 9 March 2013 - a day of free activities throughout the museum to complement the new exhibition, Amazon Adventure, including live music, photo booth and a bug-eating challenge.
- Night at the Museum - 24 November 2012 - Our after-hours social music event for the third year running, this time in conjunction with Kids in Museums: Takeover. An evening of music and activities for young people showcasing local young musical talents and many more.
- Generation Integration - 25 August 2012 -a day of youth-led events by the Horiniman Youth Panel, Summerstep and SFHYF.
- Body Adorned - 24 March 2012 - a day of events to complement the launch The Body Adorned.
- HYPed! – 26 November 2011 - an after-hours music event with bands, DJs and silent disco.
- Balistic – 18 September 2011 - a day of events centred on the Bali: dancing for the gods exhibition
- Takeover: Live – 12 March 2011 - a day of live music, dance performances and art activities all designed and put on by the Youth Panel.
- Hyjacked – 26 November 2010 - an after-hours live music event showcasing local young musicians.
- Youth Conference – 26-27 November 2010 - a two-day event creating a space for academics and young people to discuss the ways young people are publicly represented and how cultural organisations engage with them.
It was a real privilege to be involved with the Horniman Museum Youth Panel. Not only because the museum is a very much loved and highly regarded establishment, but the fact that I was working with such a great group of young people. I found the panel very responsive to my work and encouraged by their enthusiasm with the branding project.
I was bowled over with certain members commitment to the project and how passionate they were about the panels objectives and branding. It has really encouraged me to try and find similar work, as I found the experience so rewarding.
- Sarah, Graphic Designer
Our Youth Pledge
The Horniman Museum recognises the valuable contribution that young people make to the Museum and Gardens. It is committed to creating relevant and meaningful opportunities for young people, enabling them to take an active role in shaping what happens at the Museum.