[Skip to content] [Skip to main navigation] [Skip to user navigation] [Skip to global search] [Accessibility information] [Contact us]

See full details Description

museum (1899 - )
The Royal Museum & Art Gallery in Canterbury (also known as the Beaney Institute) opened in 1899, after the City bought the collections belonging to a museum owned by the Canterbury Philosophical and Literary Institution in 1846. The building was designed in a Tudor Revival style by A. H. Campbell, and paid for in part by a bequest left to the city by Dr James George Beaney, after whom the building is named.

The Horniman purchased a large collection of ethnographic specimens and musical instruments from the Royal Museum in 1961. Collection contains items gathered in the 18th and 19th century including a North Alaskan drill bow collected by Captain James Cook in 1778-1779 and also items collected by Henry Landsdell (1841-1919), missionary and traveller, from Central Asia.

Details

museum (1899 - )
1899-09-11, Canterbury, Kent, England, UK, British Isles, Western Europe, Europe
British  museum