[Skip to content] [Skip to main navigation] [Skip to user navigation] [Skip to global search] [Accessibility information] [Contact us]

See full details Description

school (1923 - )
Stowe School opened in 1923. Harry Shaw had purchased the estate in 1922, thus sparing Stowe House and gardens from demolition. Stowe’s first Headmaster was J. F. Roxburgh. He wished to create an individual-focused modern public school, without corporal punishment. Stowe soon expanded and by 1935 it reached 500 pupils. It achieved great academic success with 60% of the students going to Oxbridge in 1939. T. H. White, who wrote The Once and Future King, taught at Stowe.

In 1929 Sir Robert Lorimer’s Chapel was inaugurated by Prince George, followed by a restoration programme of several buildings four years later.

Roxburgh was succeeded by Eric Reynolds in 1949 and he in turn by Donald Crichton-Miller. Under Headmaster Bob Drayson Stowe School opened its doors to girls in 1974.

The school presented its grounds to the National Trust in 1989. After two additional Headmasters, Christopher Turner and Jeremy Nichols, Anthony Wallersteiner established full co-education in 2003.

In 1942, the school was given Edward Hart's extensive collection of taxidermied birds by Patrick Hall. It sold the collection to a consortium of museums, including the Horniman Museum, in 1983.

Details

school (1923 - )
11 May 1923, Buckinghamshire, England, UK, Western Europe, Europe
British  school