Donated to the Horniman Museum by the World Church and Mission Department of the United Reformed Church. Items such as these were used by missionaries to illustrate talks given by the missionaries when they were home on leave.
- 0 item(s)
- £0.00 View
Wooden model of a palanquin with a seated male figure inside, and three bearers. All four figures wear conical hats. The palanquin is open at the front and has windows to either side. It is decorated on the outside with floral and geometric carvings.
5 items (description level: top)
- Broad category
- Anthropology: Ethnography
- Additional names, titles, or classifications
catalogue name: model palanquin
object name (Horniman Ethno.): model palanquin
- China, East Asia; Asia
- Additional place information
made or collected: China
- Date made
- late 19th or early 20th century
- Additional date information
date made: late 19th or early 20th century
- Materials & techniques
- wood; wood
- Additional material & technique information
material: wood (overall)
- overall: 82 mm x 327 mm x 71 mm
- Additional measurement information
overall: 82 mm x 327 mm x 71 mm
donor: United Reformed Church Missionary Society
Undefined - 1973-01-18
- Related objects
- contains model palanquin (1973.30i) contains model palanquin (1973.30ii) contains model palanquin (1973.30iii) contains model palanquin (1973.30iv) contains model palanquin (1973.30v) contains component; model palanquin (1973.30vi)
- Related subjects
association: Model palanquin (World Gallery - Display group)
related subject: Transport
object name: model palanquins
- Record created 2000-02-02
- Record last updated 2019-08-03
These objects are only a part of our collections, of which there are more than 350,000 objects. More information on the objects listed on our website.
This information comes from our collections database. Some of this is incomplete and there may be some errors. The database sometimes uses language taken from historical documents to help research, which may now appear outdated and even offensive. The database also includes information on objects that are considered secret or sacred by some communities.
If you have any further information about objects in our collections or can suggest corrections to our information, please contact us.