The Horniman is offering free entry to its Aquarium on Saturday 8 June as part of its family-fun-packed activities for World Oceans Day.
Every year, World Oceans Day brings communities together to honour, help protect, and conserve the world’s shared ocean. For World Oceans Day 2019, the Horniman is running a fun day of free activities to help visitors discover how they can become caretakers of our oceans.
As part of their free visit to the 15 tanks of coral reefs, mesmerising jellyfish and more, visitors will be the first to see a month-long pop-up Beat Plastic Pollution display throughout the Aquarium – created by the Horniman in support of the European Commission’s World aquariums #readytochange to #beatplasticpollution campaign - and be invited to make their own ocean pledge, to help preserve the health of the world’s oceans.
World Oceans Day fun on offer throughout the Horniman will include:
- hands-on workshops with ocean objects, led by Aquarium staff and museum curators
- two 6-ft puppet ships which will be ‘flying’ around the Horniman
- ‘Journey into the Deep’ creative storytelling and craft workshops
- curator talks about green turtles, sharks and ‘Lego Lost at Sea’
- a green turtle taxidermy specimen on loan from the Natural History Museum
- children’s poetry competitions to win an ocean-themed goody bag (5-11s) or a behind-the-scenes tour of the Aquarium (12-18s)
- a hanging fishing-net installation which will ‘catch’ visitors’ ocean pledges.
Tim Corum, Director of Curatorial and Public Engagement at the Horniman Museum and Gardens, says:
The Horniman is doing a lot behind the scenes to take care of our oceans, from our world-leading Project Coral research to getting rid of single-use plastics from our Café. World Oceans Day is our chance to invite our visitors to join us in this commitment to preserving the health of our oceans and of course there’s plenty of fun to enjoy throughout the day. Come along, join in and make your ocean pledge at the Horniman.
The Horniman’s World Oceans Day activities are free. The Aquarium is free to visit on World Oceans Day, Saturday 8 June 2019. The usual ticket prices for the Aquarium are: Child £3, Adult £5, Family (2+2) £12, including optional Gift Aid donation. Under-3s and Horniman Members go free every day.