This July and August, the Horniman will play host to live music, photography, museum displays, film and dance – including carnival parades and Afro-jazz picnics, as well as African inspired family favourites such as arts and crafts, object-handling and storytelling.
We will be working with London-based artists, dancers and musicians to re-imagine our vibrant African collection.
View all African Summer events here.
- Africa Dance! A day of African music and dance performances celebrating the diversity of styles from the African Diaspora. Sunday 5 July
- Bandstand Concerts. Listen to sensational performances from: Karama, Kasaï Masaï, Kakatsitsi and Manding Sabu on the Bandstand set against a fascinating view of the London skyline. Sundays in August.
- African Late. A night of performances celebrating contemporary artists from all around Africa and the African Diaspora, including dance workshops, street performances, films, tours, food, drinks and more. Thursday 6 August
- Big Wednesdays. A day of activities inspired by Africa’s many different countries and its Diaspora on Wednesdays in August.
- Africarnival. An afternoon of extravagant concerts, dance and carnival performances in the gardens to celebrate the end of our African Summer. Sunday 30 August
- Jazz Picnics. Enjoy our beautiful gardens with Afro Jazz concerts in July with: Minnjiaraby, Seeds of Creation, Namvula and the Dele Sosimi Quartet
- Africa on Film An afternoon of contemporary short films and documentaries from Africa and the Diaspora, curated by Suzy Gillet, producer and director. Sunday 19 July
Meet our curators, experts and musicians and learn more about the stories behind our African collections in our Explore Africa series with events for adults and children.
- African Animals
- Hear it Live!
- African Drums and Drumming
- Colours from South Africa
- Congolese Myths and Stories
- Re-telling collections froms the DRC