The British School of Archaeology in Egypt was created by (William Matthew) Flinders Petrie (1853-1942) in 1905. Petrie, was an experienced Egyptologist having excavated in Egypt since 1880. Petrie had been previously funded by the Egypt Exploration Fund or through private patrons however his appointment as Edwards Professor of Egyptian Archaeology and Philology at the University College London in 1893 changed that. The position allowed him to form his own Egyptian research account to help fund expedition and this ultimately led to the formation of the British School in 1905.
The School excavated a number of sites in Egypt including Tarkhan, Riqqeh and Memphis and would hold exhibitions at University College London where sponsorsing public museums, such as the Horniman, would be allowed to purchase artefacts.
In the 1920s, the school shifted it's focus to archaeological sites in Palestine. Petrie, died in 1942, and his widow, Hilda kept the School going after his death until it came to an end in 1954.
archaeological education institution (1905-1954)