The Horniman Café
The Café is open from 9am – 5.30pm daily.
- 5pm: last order for drinks
- 4pm: last order from the kitchen
We serve a delicious range of hot and cold meals, sandwiches, biscuits, fair-trade teas and coffees, and cold drinks.
We have menus for adults and children, vegan and vegetarian options, as well as gluten-free foods. Ask the Café staff for more information about what’s on offer.
If you visit the Horniman Café regularly, don’t forget to pick up a loyalTEA card – any hot drink you buy will earn you a stamp. Buy nine hot drinks and get the tenth on the house.
The Café gets very busy between 11.30am and 2.30pm, and especially so during weekends and school holidays.
You can check in with NHS Test & Trace in the Cafe.
Cafe Terrace Kiosk
The Café Terrace Kiosk is open weekends only from 11am – 4pm serving crepes.
The Café Kiosk in the Gardens by the Bandstand is open serving hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, snacks and ice-cream (no hot food).
Open daily from 9am – 4pm.
- Please follow social distancing advice, and we ask that you continue to wear a mask when you aren’t eating or drinking when ordering your take away.
- There are toilets available to Cafe visitors to the right of the counter. The lockers and cloakroom remain closed.
- We won’t be able to provide free water refills (health and safety we cannot refill bottles or take away cups that people bring in) but tap water will be available.
- We encourage the use of contactless payment methods at the Cafe and kiosks.
The meat we serve is locally sourced, as well as our beer, breads and homemade cakes, and the fish is from sustainable sources.
The Café has replaced single-use takeaway plastics with Vegware products made from plants, including disposable coffee cups and straws. The Café has introduced CanO water for those who want to take away, as aluminium cans are infinitely recyclable.
Waste produced by the Café is composted using an on-site Ridan composter for use in the Gardens, and Café staff sort waste left on tables for recycling.
If you want to bring your own food and drink to the Horniman for a picnic, you can find great spots all over the Gardens.
Please refrain from eating and drinking in the Museum, as this can attract pests which damage the collections.
If you are unsure of the best picnic spots, please ask one of our Visitor Hosts.
Unfortunately, even very careful eaters can leave crumbs which attract pests. These pests can damage our collections.
In sunny weather, the Gardens have lots of great picnic spots.
During cold or wet weather you are welcome to use our Dutch Barn picnicking space. This is open daily.
The Dutch Barn is opposite the Bandstand on a raised terrace, next to the Pavilion. Find a map of the Gardens or watch this film showing the route from the entrance to the Bandstand terrace: