- 0 item(s)
- £0.00 View
Bring your topic to life with our much loved Ancient Egyptian workshop which gives pupils the unique opportunity to handle real Ancient Egyptian artefacts. Learn how to think like archaeologists whilst examing these priceless artefacts for clues about life - and death - in Ancient Egypt. Examine an Ancient Egyptian death mask; decide which part of a sarcophagus is in your hands; and see an real mummified hawk up close!’
- All pupils will be able to explain why the Ancient Egyptians mummified people and animals.
- All pupils will know how to carefully handle museum objects to prevent damage and understand why this is necessary.
- Most pupils will be able to examine objects methodically, using clues draw sensible conclusions as to what an Ancient Egyptian “mystery object” was used for and explain their rationale.
"The children absolutely loved seeing the artefacts up close. It helped them to understand how fragile they are" Year 4 teacher
We also offer a sensory taught sessions for SEND pupils called Ancient Egyptian Mummification. See Booking Sessions for more information.
Booking a taught session includes a welcome briefing on arrival, timed access to a lunch space, cloakroom facilities and access to toilets for the exclusive use of school groups. To contact us to make a booking please call 020 8291 8686 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our taught sessions start at:
- 10.30-11.15am (lunch room 12-12.30pm)
- 11.45-12.30pm (lunch room 1-1.30pm)
- 1.30-2.15pm (lunch room 12.30-1pm)
When you contact us: Please have ready the name of the taught session you would like to book or topic you are studying, 1st/2nd/3rd choice of date and preferred session time, and the number of pupils and adults.
Entrance to the Horniman Museum and Gardens is free of charge. Taught sessions and access to some exhibitions are charged for. We invoice after your visit.
From September 2019 the following charges will apply
45 minute object handling, museum and garden sessions (up to 30 pupils): £72.50 ex VAT (£87.00 inc VAT) per session
30/45 minute object handling sessions for Special Education Needs classes (up to 12 pupils): £36.25 ex VAT (£43.50 inc VAT) per session
60 minute Gamelan and 90 minute sessions (up to 30 pupils): £122.50 ex VAT (£147.00 inc VAT) per session
We offer a bursary
See our terms and conditions