Euphonium. Brass tubing. Three Périnet valves, plus long piston (register) valve for left hand. Configured as a compensating system similar to Besson's 'registre' of 1853. Mouthpiece and fourth valve cap missing. Bell is stamped: Patent Light Valve/HENRY DISTIN/MAKER/9 & 10 GRt. NEWPORT St./LEICESTER SQUARE/LONDON/No. 7484; Casings and upper caps of valves one to three are stamped with their respective numbers.
This instrument was in the possession of the Distin Company when the enterprise was bought up by Boosey & Co. in 1868. The Distin records show that the instrument, described as "B_ Euphonion 4V long valve", was entered into stock on 20th November 1868 and was officially transferred to the Boosey Company on 28th April 1874. At the 1868 stocktaking, it was recorded as having the serial number 20417, although this new number does not appear on the instrument.