Trumpet. Brass tubing. Three Shaw disc valves operated with long push rods. Third valve loop is once-coiled. Screw tensioner on lead pipe for mouthpiece or possible shank (both missing). Maker's plaque on bell bears stamped inscription around the boundary of a royal crest with lion, unicorn and crown: BY HER 27 MAJESTY'S/ROYAL LETTERS PATENT/J.SHAW/INVENTOR/KOHLER SOLE MAKER/35, HENRIETTA St./COVENT GARDEN LONDON; Valve finger buttons are stamped 1, 2, 3 respectively.
Disc valves, or 'Patent Lever Valves', were patented by John Shaw in 1838. Shaw later sold the rights to John Augustus Köhler. Disc valves were one of the many experimental valve types to appear in the 19th century. The valve loop tubing is mounted on a rotating disc and swivels into place when the valve lever is depressed. Disc valves did not achieve lasting popularity; the valve mechanism was fragile and often became stuck.