This ancient oblong pottery seal was used as a tattoo marker and dates to 1100-1200. It is from Manabi, Ecuador. It has a repeat geometric pattern and a conical handle. There are remains of a dark blue pigment on the patterned part of the seal as well as on some of the handle. It was brought into the Museum collections by Mr L Gomez, a resident of Ecuador who sold several items to the Museum in the late 1950s. A rectangular label has been attached to the handle, which reads 'El Campamento (Jama Manabi). 1955.' Jama is a coastal town in the Manabi region, Ecuador.