Errol is the Head of Horticulture, managing the 16.5 acres of Gardens at the Horniman.
With a background in fine art, gallery education and psychotherapy as well as being botanically trained, Errol’s approach to landscape management, horticulture and design is creative, thoughtful and sensitive. Errol is particularly interested in ecological and sustainable horticulture and develops planting schemes that sit comfortably alongside nature, with a low impact on the environment both in terms of implementation and maintenance. He also strives to push the boundaries of contemporary horticulture and design practice. Prior to joining the Horniman in April 2021, Errol was Senior Gardener for the 112-acre Kenwood House estate in Hampstead, north London, managed by English Heritage.
- RHS Diploma in Horticulture, Capel Manor College
- Botanical Traineeship, Chelsea Physic Garden
- MA Art Psychotherapy, Goldsmiths, University of London
- BA Fine Art, De Montfort University
Lectures and presentations
- Other Voices in Garden History Discussion Panel, Other Voices in Garden History, The Gardens Trust, June 2021
- Lockdown Gardens, Gardens Museum, April 2021
- In Search of Plant Communities, Developing Planting Schemes That Are More Sustainable and Ecological, London Gardens Network, April 2021
- The ground beneath our feet: Tunnels, Hades, Unkraut, Zurich University of the Arts, 2019
- Gardens Illustrated, Gardening Talent: Errol Fernandes: Promoting change within the gardening community, April 2021