Resident Artists Programme
The Horniman’s 696 Resident Artists programme supports music artists at the cutting edge of south London’s music scene.
Apply now to join the Horniman’s new 696 music project as a Resident Artist.
696 has been developed to platform the best of south London’s contemporary music – from afrobeat and jazz to R&B to grime – championing music genres and the people working within them that have been disproportionately affected by bias in legislation.
During their year-long residency, Artists will develop their own creative project in response to the Horniman’s collection of musical instruments which is one of the most comprehensive, exciting and relevant in the UK.
The 696 project will also include a series of live gigs, a major exhibition and a summer music festival.
Applications close Monday 17 August 2020.
The residency will include:
- A budget of £1,000 – £3,000 to develop your creative project
- Attendance at a series of unique, intimate music masterclasses
- One-to-one mentoring sessions
- Access to free writing/rehearsal space
- Bespoke digital content created about you, your music and project
- Performance opportunities at the Horniman’s summer bandstand series in partnership with Balamii in 2020 and the 696 music festival in 2021
- Access to a network of music partners
To find out more, attend our open evening on Tuesday 10 March at 6-8pm. RSVP to email@example.com
Download information about the full programme and application guidance.
How to apply
To apply, you need to:
- Submit a video no longer than six minutes in length. This should include you answering the three questions in the guidance. You will not be assessed on the quality of the video only the content of your answers.
- Complete the online application form
If you have any questions, or require any access support in making your application, please contact Adem Holness – Music Curator: firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8699 1872 (ext 114)
Please note: In light of the Museum’s closure, following the latest advice from Public Health England regarding the coronavirus, the Resident Artist programme has been postponed for three months.
The schedule has been updated to reflect this.
10 March 2020
Optional Open Evening
A chance to find out more about the programme and meet the Horniman’s Music Team. RSVP by emailing email@example.com
17 August 2020
If shortlisted, you must be able to attend the following dates:
10 September 2020 (6 – 9pm)
Live Music Sharing event
Shortlisted artists will be invited to join an intimate evening of live music and networking with key project partners at the Horniman. You will have the chance to share your music with a live audience.
15 September 2020
Meet the Music Curator
Shortlisted artists will be invited to discuss their project idea with the Music Curator.
21 September 2020
6 October 2020 – TBC
Resident Artist Induction Day