From Saturday 23 May 2020, our Gardens will return to their usual opening hours of 7.15am (Monday to Saturday) or 8am (Sunday and Bank Holidays) until sunset. Until 9 August the Gardens closing time will be 8.50pm.
The Garden toilets are open during Gardens opening hours, with an increased cleaning regimen. Only one person or family group is allowed in at a time to adhere to distancing advice.
The Horniman Market is now open every Sunday from 10am – 3pm.
The Café Kiosks in the Gardens are open serving hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, snacks and ice-cream (no hot food). Opening hours:
- Monday to Friday: 11am to 6pm
- Saturday: 10am to 6pm
- Sunday: 9am to 6pm
There are designated queueing areas and signage for social distancing.
All food is pre-packaged and all outlets are taking card payments only.
We will continue to update horniman.ac.uk and our social media channels whilst the Museum is closed and will advertise its reopening well in advance.
We are doing our best to keep the Gardens open and safe at this time – please help us by adhering to social distancing guidelines and keeping well.
We thank you for your understanding and patience during this difficult period. Your ongoing support is so very important to us, and we will continue to share stories and objects from the collections throughout this time.
Are staff working and being paid during the closure?
Yes, staff who are well will continue to work their usual hours, and all staff will continue to be paid as usual. Some essential staff like Animal Keepers will continue to be on site, while non-essential staff will work from home.
What will happen to the animals, fish and butterflies?
Staff will continue to care for the residents of our Animal Walk, Nature Base, Aquarium and Butterfly House to ensure their wellbeing throughout the closures.
We also have contingency plans and rotas in place for if key staff in these areas fall ill, to ensure the welfare of the animals.
What will remain open?
- The Gardens will remain open.
- Access to public outside space, even when you are self-isolating, is very important to health and wellbeing, which has informed our decision to keep the Gardens open. Please use the Gardens safely by following social distancing guidance.
- The Nature Trail will be open depending on the weather and staff rotas. Please call to check whether this is open on a day you plan to visit, as usual.
What will be closed?
- The Museum, Aquarium, Butterfly House and Animal Walk will be closed.
- Tickets to Permian Monsters, the Aquarium and Butterfly House will be valid once we reopen.
- Please see below the events that have been postponed and the events which have been cancelled.
- Horniman staff will be in touch with people who have booked into events that have been postponed, to update ticket holders.
Events that have been postponed:
- Home Education workshops
- Members Meet the Fish
- Members Meet the Dinosaurs
- Members Meet the Animals
- Bright and Early: Permian Monsters Relaxed Opening
- Horniman Family Rave with Big Fish Little Fish
- Hear it Live! music performances
- Going Live! youth event
Events that have been cancelled (which includes all Easter and May half term events):
- Crossing Borders
- Making Time workshops
- Curiosity Talks
- Stay in Tune Thursdays
- Library open days
- Hands on Base: open to all and Horniman explorers
- World of Stories
- Busy Bees
- Art Makers
- Make! Spring Birds and Make! Save Our Planet
- The Secret Garden Storytelling
- The Easter Fair
- The Sweet Workshop
- Up in the Air
- Pond Dipping
- Masterclass on the square piano by Marcia Hadjimarkos
- Masterclass on the virginals by Catalina Vicens
- Maestros’ Concert by Maggie Cole, Marcia Hadjimarkos and Catalina Vicens
- Horniman Early Keyboard Competition Round One, Round Two and Awards Ceremony
- Dawn Chorus Walk
- Urban Tree Day
For information about Raise the Roof choir please contact Kirsty Martin email@example.com