Hear the story behind the Lion Dance, wear a beautiful lion mask and explore traditional clothing.
Take on our chopstick challenge, learn about traditional Chinese foods, and play traditional Chinese musical instruments. Finally, take part in a celebratory Chinese New Year parade.
- Pupils will be able to explain why a lion mask is used for Chinese New Year celebrations.
- Pupils will be able to describe some traditional elements of a Chinese New Year celebration and explain why they are important
- Pupils will gain confidence trying new activities and play co-operatively, taking turns with others.
- Pupils will be able to locate China on a map.
How to book
Booking a taught session includes a welcome briefing on arrival, timed access to a lunch space, cloakroom facilities and access to toilets for the exclusive use of school groups.
Contact us to make a booking:
020 8291 8686
When you contact us please have ready:
– the name of the taught session you would like to book or topic you are studying,
– 1st/2nd/3rd choice of date and preferred session time,
– the number of pupils and adults attending.
Entrance to the Horniman Museum and Gardens is free of charge. Taught sessions and access to some exhibitions are charged for. We invoice after your visit.
The following charges apply:
– 45 minute object handling, Museum and Gardens sessions (up to 30 pupils): £72.50 ex VAT (£87.00 inc VAT) per session
– 30/45 minute object handling sessions for Special Education Needs classes (up to 12 pupils): £36.25 ex VAT (£43.50 inc VAT) per session
– 60 minute Gamelan and 90 minute sessions (up to 30 pupils): £122.50 ex VAT (£147.00 inc VAT) per session.
We offer a bursary.
Planning your visit
See Plan Your Day for other essential information including our Risk Assessment.
We are open from 10am–5.30pm. Entrance to the Museum and Gardens is free of charge.
Entrance to the Aquarium, Butterfly House and our temporary exhibition Permian Monsters (opens until 1 November 2020) is charged with reduced rates available for school, college, university and nursery groups.
Charges apply to all children aged 3 years and over, and all accompanying teachers and adults, unless they are specific 1:1 carers.