Explore some fantastic fossils.
Get hands on and discover how a fossil is formed, what becomes fossilised and why, have a go at working out some mystery fossils and touch a cast of one of the most important fossils ever discovered – the archaeopteryx!
- Pupils will know that the study of fossils is called Palaeontology and understand how a fossil forms.
- Pupils will be able to identify different kinds of organisms which can become fossils.
- Pupils will be able to explain why many fossils are found in coastal regions.
- Pupils will appreciate our understanding of fossils and extinct species is developing all the time.
This is really fun! it makes such a difference being able to touch them, I get it! Year 5 pupil
How to book
Booking a taught session includes a welcome briefing on arrival, timed access to a lunch space, cloakroom facilities and access to toilets for the exclusive use of school groups.
Contact us to make a booking:
020 8291 8686
When you contact us please have ready:
- the name of the taught session you would like to book or topic you are studying,
-1st/2nd/3rd choice of date and preferred session time,
- the number of pupils and adults attending.
Entrance to the Horniman Museum and Gardens is free of charge. Taught sessions and access to some exhibitions are charged for. We invoice after your visit.
The following charges apply:
- 45 minute object handling, Museum and Gardens sessions (up to 30 pupils): £72.50 ex VAT (£87.00 inc VAT) per session
- 30/45 minute object handling sessions for Special Education Needs classes (up to 12 pupils): £36.25 ex VAT (£43.50 inc VAT) per session
- 60 minute Gamelan and 90 minute sessions (up to 30 pupils): £122.50 ex VAT (£147.00 inc VAT) per session.
We offer a bursary.
Planning your visit
See Plan Your Day for other essential information including our Risk Assessment.
We are open from 10am–5.30pm. Entrance to the Museum and Gardens is free of charge.
Entrance to the Aquarium, Butterfly House and our temporary exhibition Permian Monsters (opens until 1 November 2020) is charged with reduced rates available for school, college, university and nursery groups.
Charges apply to all children aged 3 years and over, and all accompanying teachers and adults, unless they are specific 1:1 carers.