From a seed larger than your head to one lighter than a feather, discover seeds that can swim, fly, explode and even hitch a lift.
This session takes place indoors. Please do however take the opportunity before or after the session to take your class outside and explore our Gardens and Nature Trail.
Pupils will be handling seeds and nuts in this session. If you have pupils with nut and any other allergies please let us know so we can include alternative objects.
- Understand pollination and seed formation
- Understand how some plants grow from a seed
- Understand that seeds are dispersed in different ways including wind, water and animals
’The session was brilliant for consolidating the knowledge they had acquired in class and supporting them to apply this knowledge in a hands-on and meaningful manner.’ – Teacher
If you would like to visit our Butterfly House reduced admission is available for school groups: £2.50 inc. VAT per person. 1:1 carers free of charge. Entrance to the Butterfly House is limited so to avoid disappointment please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8291 8686 to book in advance of your visit.
How to book
Booking a taught session includes a welcome briefing on arrival, timed access to a lunch space, cloakroom facilities and access to toilets for the exclusive use of school groups.
Contact us to make a booking:
020 8291 8686
When you contact us please have ready:
– the name of the taught session you would like to book or topic you are studying,
– 1st/2nd/3rd choice of date and preferred session time,
– the number of pupils and adults attending.
Entrance to the Horniman Museum and Gardens is free of charge. Taught sessions and access to some exhibitions are charged for. We invoice after your visit.
The following charges apply:
– 45 minute object handling, Museum and Gardens sessions (up to 30 pupils): £72.50 ex VAT (£87.00 inc VAT) per session
– 30/45 minute object handling sessions for Special Education Needs classes (up to 12 pupils): £36.25 ex VAT (£43.50 inc VAT) per session
– 60 minute Gamelan and 90 minute sessions (up to 30 pupils): £122.50 ex VAT (£147.00 inc VAT) per session.
We offer a bursary.
Planning your visit
See Plan Your Day for other essential information including our Risk Assessment.
We are open from 10am–5.30pm. Entrance to the Museum and Gardens is free of charge.
Entrance to the Aquarium, Butterfly House and our temporary exhibition Permian Monsters (opens until 3 January 2021 is charged with reduced rates available for school, college, university and nursery groups.
Charges apply to all children aged 3 years and over, and all accompanying teachers and adults, unless they are specific 1:1 carers.