A fascimile of a Roman cornu pitched in C. Brass tubing with wooden strut wound with macramé string binding. Fitted with trombone mouthpiece of silver plated brass. A stamp around the mouthpiece shank reads: G51/MADE IN ENGLAND
The cornu was one of a number of instruments used by the armies of the Roman Empire. It was closely related to the tuba, a straight trumpet used for giving signals in battle. However, the cornu is a much larger instrument and its weight would have made it impractical on the battlefield. Instead it was used for ceremonial occasions such as state processions and funerals. This copy is based on an original found at Pompeii and was also intended for use in pageantry. It was commissioned by the Army and was played at the Northern Command Tattoo at Roundhay Park in Leeds in 1954.