Please note: applications are now closed.
If you can answer yes to those two questions, the Horniman Museum and Gardens would like to hear from you.
We are looking for three solo buskers who will fill our Conservatory with their original music on dates in February and March 2022. Read the information below and apply now.
The Horniman’s Busk It Live! programme aims to platform music from a wide variety of genres, and artists who are bringing new or less familiar sounds or instruments to the wider public.
As one of the Horniman buskers, you will also have the opportunity to respond to the Museum’s vast collections in musical instruments, natural history or anthropology by creating a new work inspired by one or more of its objects.
Each artist will:
- Receive an all-inclusive fee of £700 for full participation.
- Have a curator-led introduction to the Museum’s permanent Galleries to help you choose an object as an inspiration for your new work.
- Perform live for 60 minutes on two separate dates, in the Horniman’s Victorian conservatory. The 60-minute sessions will be broken into two sets of 25 minutes with a 10-minute break between.
- Premiere your new work inspired by the Horniman collections on one of your performance dates.
- Be featured in digital content on the Horniman website, social media, and in the Music Gallery.
Artists who require electronic equipment (e.g. mic, amp) will need to provide their own. Such equipment must run from standard 13 amp power and possess a PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) certificate dated from within six months of the performance. All cabling brought onto site will be visually inspected for safety.
Along with your completed application please submit:
- Two video examples of you performing your music. Maximum length 6-minutes, or two 3-minute videos. One of the videos should be of a live performance.
- An audio recording of your answers to the final two questions on the application. Maximum length 6-minutes. You will not be assessed on the technical quality of the recording, only the content of your answers.
If you have any questions, or require any access support in making your application please contact Mimi Waitzman – Senior Curator of Musical Collections and Cultures.
T: 020 8291 8164 or 020 8699 1872 (ext 133)
29 November 2021
2 January 2022 5pm
11 January 2022
Decision date and notification of selected artists
24 January 2022
Meet the Music Curator – selected artists will be invited to view the performance space, the Horniman collections to choose their inspirational object, and to discuss ideas with the Music Curator.
14 February – 30 March 2022
Busk It Live! Performance dates to be confirmed