In this session pupils will explore and handle a variety of taxidermy animals from around the world to understand how and why scientists sort animals into groups.
Pupils will practice using a classification key to sort invertebrates and identify the features of mammals, fish, birds, amphibians and reptiles. Pupils will also be challenged to classify some mystery animals.
- Understand what classification is and why we have it
- Identify the features of each of the 5 main animal groups.
- Using a key identify vertebrates and invertebrates.
“The session was extremely well planned and exactly to the right age, content was perfect. The children were all completely engaged and thoroughly enjoyed it.” Year 3 teacher
How to book
Booking a taught session includes a welcome briefing on arrival, timed access to a lunch space, cloakroom facilities and access to toilets for the exclusive use of school groups.
Contact us to make a booking:
020 8291 8686
When you contact us please have ready:
– the name of the taught session you would like to book or topic you are studying,
-1st/2nd/3rd choice of date and preferred session time,
– the number of pupils and adults attending.
Entrance to the Horniman Museum and Gardens is free of charge. Taught sessions and access to some exhibitions are charged for. We invoice after your visit.
The following charges apply:
– 45 minute or 1 hour object handling session, (up to 30 pupils): £72.50 ex VAT (£87.00 inc VAT) per session
– 30/45 minute object handling sessions for Special Education Needs classes (up to 12 pupils): £36.25 ex VAT (£43.50 inc VAT) per session
– 60 minute Gamelan and 90 minute sessions (up to 30 pupils): £122.50 ex VAT (£147.00 inc VAT) per session.
We offer a bursary scheme for schools that meet a set criteria.
Planning your visit
See Plan Your Day for other essential information including our Risk Assessment.
We are open from 10am-5.30pm, 6 days a week; the Museum will be closed on Wednesdays. Entrance to the Museum and Gardens is free of charge but must be booked in advance by emailing email@example.com.
We are open from 10am–5.30pm. Entrance to the Museum and Gardens is free of charge.
Entrance to our temporary exhibition, Monkey Business, can be booked for a reduced educational rate of £3 per person. Our Butterfly House and Aquarium will remain closed to school groups at this time to allow for social distancing. Charges apply to all children aged 3 years and over, and all accompanying teachers and adults, unless they are specific 1:1 carers.