Along the way, we’ll meet some amazing aquatic creatures, from a frog to a fish, learn about their amazing bodies, and even sing about them.
Travel to the Amazon rainforest, bravely touch a stuffed caiman and learn about colour and camouflage. At the seaside, listen to the waves, feel sea spray on your face and go diving in search of aquatic creatures.
When we return, dress as your favourite animal from our journey and explore the amazing objects hidden around the room: touch a real shark’s jaw; feel an enormous Nile crocodile’s scaly skin; and see a frog’s skeleton up-close.
The cost of the session also includes timed access to the Aquarium (please note – this is not private access) outside the session.
This session is not suitable for under 3’s. Accompanying adults are very welcome, but we may restrict access to the taught session to a maximum of 10 adults.
Please be aware that the Aquarium is popular on Tuesday mornings so you may wish to book this session at quieter times of the week.
- Children will be able to name and identify a range of aquatic animals
- Children will be able to identify different features of different aquatic animals (such as scaly skin, a shell etc.)
- Children will respond appropriately to a story, anticipating key events and listening attentively
“The tutor was fantastic – she engaged all the children and the session was perfect for all the nursery children.”
How to book
Booking a taught session includes a welcome briefing on arrival, timed access to a lunch space, cloakroom facilities and access to toilets for the exclusive use of school groups.
Contact us to make a booking:
020 8291 8686
When you contact us please have ready:
– the name of the taught session you would like to book or topic you are studying,
-1st/2nd/3rd choice of date and preferred session time,
– the number of pupils and adults attending.
Entrance to the Horniman Museum and Gardens is free of charge. Taught sessions and access to some exhibitions are charged for. We invoice after your visit.
The following charges apply:
– 45 minute or 1 hour object handling session, (up to 30 pupils): £72.50 ex VAT (£87.00 inc VAT) per session
– 30/45 minute object handling sessions for Special Education Needs classes (up to 12 pupils): £36.25 ex VAT (£43.50 inc VAT) per session
– 60 minute Gamelan and 90 minute sessions (up to 30 pupils): £122.50 ex VAT (£147.00 inc VAT) per session.
We offer a bursary scheme for schools that meet a set criteria.
Planning your visit
See Plan Your Day for other essential information including our Risk Assessment.
We are open from 10am-5.30pm, 6 days a week; the Museum will be closed on Wednesdays. Entrance to the Museum and Gardens is free of charge but must be booked in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are open from 10am–5.30pm. Entrance to the Museum and Gardens is free of charge.
Entrance to our temporary exhibition, Monkey Business, can be booked for a reduced educational rate of £3 per person. Our Butterfly House and Aquarium will remain closed to school groups at this time to allow for social distancing. Charges apply to all children aged 3 years and over, and all accompanying teachers and adults, unless they are specific 1:1 carers.