Accessible and fully-supported temporary loans from the Horniman collections to other institutions
This project offers museum objects on short term loan to other institutions. The objects chosen for the project have either been in storage for a number of years or on display but with limited information.
We will support your organisation throughout the loan to make the process accessible, open and manageable.
We deliver the loan object along with a showcase, lighting, transport, interpretation, and the option of an expert talk or event and publicity for the loan.
All loan and associated costs are covered by Arts Council England making the project available to all.
Current and upcoming displays
- Romanian decorated Easter eggs at Burnham-on-Crouch and District Museum from 25 March to 24 July 2016
- Imbenge at Sevenoaks Museum from April 27 to 20 July 2016
- Narsīgā at East Grinstead Museum from June to August 2016
- Pine Marten at Holland Park Ecology Centre from 23 July to 5 September 2016
- Zhenwu figure at the Royal Asiatic Society from 1 September to 6 December 2016
- 27 September 2016, 7pm: Talk 'Zhenwu, the Dark Warrior: Daoist beliefs and imagery in China' by Rose Kerr, former Keeper of the Far Eastern Department at the V&A. At the Royal Asiatic Society. Free, booking essential.
Objects in the project
- Japanese shōgi set
- Chinese zhenwu figure
- Traditional Romanian hand decorated eggs
- Three Oceanic pots
- Haida model totem pole and pipe
- Imbenge, South African beer pot covers
- Swedish Christmas goats
Follow our progress
You can see the locations of some of our current and past Object in Focus Loans on our Loans Map.
For more information on our Object in Focus project and the objects available for loan, please email Laura Cronin.