Accessible and fully-supported short term loans from the Horniman collections to other institutions
This project offers museum objects on short term loan to other institutions. The objects chosen for the project have either been in storage for a number of years or on display but with limited information.
We will support your organisation throughout the loan to make the process accessible, open and manageable.
We deliver the loan object along with a showcase, lighting, transport, interpretation, and the option of an expert talk or event and publicity for the loan.
All loan and associated costs are covered by Arts Council England making the project available to all.
Current and upcoming displays
- Haida pipe and totem pole at the American Museum in Britain from 21 March to 9 July 2017
- Romanian decorated eggs at Epping Forest's The View from 24 March to 27 June 2017
- Japanese shōgi set at Southend Central Museum from 12 April to 22 July 2017
- Narsīgā at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance from 5 May to 30 August 2017
- Swedish straw goats at Haslemere Educational Museum from 1 July to 4 September 2017
- Romanian decorated eggs at Bruton Museum from 11 July to 28 September 2017
- Narsīgā at the Museum of Farnham from 30 September 2017 to 20 January 2018
- Sounds of rural England display at Epping Forest District Museum from 21 October to 22 December 2017
- 8 July 2017, family craft activities at Haslemere Educational Museum.
- 13 July 2017, 6:30pm: The Romanian tradition of decorating eggs, a talk by Roxana Gibescu (Curator at Galateca Gallery, Bucharest) at Bruton Museum.
Objects in the project
- Japanese shōgi set
- Chinese zhenwu figure
- Traditional Romanian hand decorated eggs
- Three Oceanic pots
- Haida model totem pole and pipe - soon to go on permanent display in our new World Gallery.
- Imbenge, South African beer pot covers
- Swedish Christmas goats - soon to go on permanent display in our new World Gallery.
- Horse skull
- Taxidermy secretary bird
- Taxidermy pine marten
- Taxidermy badger
- Chimpanzee Skeleton
- Miniature Taxidermy Dogs
Follow our progress
You can see the locations of some of our current and past Object in Focus Loans on our Loans Map.
For more information on our Object in Focus project and the objects available for loan, please email the project coordinator Sarah Sinka on email@example.com or call 0208 858 8232.