Horn, narsiga, formed of sheets of copper, with brass rings containing rattling ball bearings. The tubular proximal end of brass contains a brass cone defining the interior bore profile, concealed behind the concave disc-shaped mouthpiece. Examples of the proximal brass tube, the cone and the disc-shaped mouthpiece were acquired, together with a sheet of copper used in manufacturing the horn and a bag of the ball bearings.
- 0 item(s)
- £0.00 View
7 items (description level: top)
423.121.2 End-blown labrosones with curved or folded tubes
- Broad category
- Musical Instruments, Aerophone
- Additional names, titles, or classifications
catalogue name: narsiga
object name (unclassified): narsīgā
object name (local): narsinga
object name: ranasringa
catalogue title: 423.121.2 End-blown labrosones with curved or folded tubes
- Additional maker information
maker: Vig, Parveen
- Date made
- circa 2005
- Additional date information
date made: circa 2005
- Birley, Margaret
- Additional collector information
collector: Birley, Margaret
- Date collected
- Additional date information
date collected: 2006-03-25
- Materials & techniques
- brass; copper
- Additional material & technique information
material: brass (overall)
material: copper (overall)
- overall: 1100 mm x 400 mm x 210 mm
- Additional measurement information
overall: 1100 mm x 400 mm x 210 mm
vendor: Vig, Parveen
- Lip-activated, trilled between one note and the note a tone above. The instrument is played standing. It accompanies the procession of the Guru Granth Sahib (the holy book of the Sikhs) in the Golden Temple when it is taken from the room where it is stored every morning and evening. Most of the narsingas made by the firm are ordered by the dera sadhus.
- Instrument is beaten out and has central seam.
- Related objects
- contains ranasringa; upper section (2006.472.1) contains ranasringa; lower section (2006.472.2) contains ranasringa; mouthpiece (2006.472.3) contains ranasringa; conical section (2006.472.4) contains ranasringa; tubular cover (2006.472.5) contains ranasringa; copper sheet (2006.472.6) contains ranasringa; ball bearings (2006.472.7)
- Related subjects
object name: horns
object name: narsigas
title: 423.121.2 End-blown labrosones with curved or folded tubes
- Record created 2006-09-27
- Record last updated 2016-12-21
These objects are only a part of our collections, of which there are more than 350,000 objects. More information on the objects listed on our website.
This information comes from our collections database. Some of this is incomplete and there may be some errors. The database sometimes uses language taken from historical documents to help research, which may now appear outdated and even offensive. The database also includes information on objects that are considered secret or sacred by some communities.
If you have any further information about objects in our collections or can suggest corrections to our information, please contact us.