Witch ball consisting of a hand blown glass ball of multicolours, with a brown thread for suspension.
- 0 item(s)
- £0.00 View
1 item (description level: whole)
- Broad category
- Anthropology: Ethnography
- Additional names, titles, or classifications
catalogue name: witch ball
object name (local): glass witch ball, varigated colours
object name: witch ball
- London Colney, Hertfordshire, England, UK, British Isles, Western Europe, Europe
- Additional place information
made or collected: London Colney
- Date made
- 19th century
- Additional date information
date made: 19th century
- Materials & techniques
- glass; cotton; wood
- Additional material & technique information
material: wood (inside the ball at the end of the suspension loop)
material: glass (overall)
material: cotton (suspension loop)
- overall: 98.43 mm
- Additional measurement information
overall: 98.43 mm
- to hang in a window to repel evil spirits
- Record created 2000-01-22
- Record last updated 2018-06-28
These objects are only a part of our collections, of which there are more than 350,000 objects. More information on the objects listed on our website.
This information comes from our collections database. Some of this is incomplete and there may be some errors. The database sometimes uses language taken from historical documents to help research, which may now appear outdated and even offensive. The database also includes information on objects that are considered secret or sacred by some communities.
If you have any further information about objects in our collections or can suggest corrections to our information, please contact us.