Object in Focus is a loans programme funded by the Arts Council England, which aims to improve access to our collections and strengthen partnerships by offering a range of objects for loan free of charge.
These loans meet the same documentation, conservation and exhibition standards as our regular loans, and conservation and collections management support is provided throughout. This programme aims to pioneer a proactive and accessible way of offering loans.
The programme offers free of charge:
- An object or selection of objects on short-term loan from a portfolio of objects from the Horniman’s diverse collections.
- The option of borrowing a showcase (either 1800mm x 1000mm² or 1800mm x 700mm²) with lighting (depending on the object).
- Transport and installation/de-installation of the object and showcase.
- An interpretation panel and mount for the display.
- The option of publicity (postcards or bookmarks) for the loan and talk/event.
- The option of professional development or a specialist talk/event related to the loan.
- Support from the project coordinator throughout the loan process.
Who is eligible?
We are keen to work with small museums and other venues in London and the South East of England, however, we may be able to loan further afield. Please contact us to discuss eligibility.
Venues will need to commit to the following:
- A contact who is regularly available to coordinate the loan.
- Time to commit to the paperwork, a pre-loan visit and installation of the loan.
- To work with us if need be to meet environmental and security conditions set out by our conservators and UKRG.
- Step free access and space for a showcase, or your own suitable showcase.
Current and upcoming displays
- Ode to the Ancestors display at The Albany from 22 April to 22 September 2022
- Climate change display at Archibald Corbett Community Library from 16 July to 19 October 2022
- Kayan tattoo models at Saffron Walden Museum from 20 July to 2 November 2022
- Horse skull at Kingston Museum as part of their Muybridge exhibition from 30 September 2022 to 11 March 2023
- Climate change display at Lewisham Library from 21 October 2022 to mid-February 2023
Lewisham Borough of Culture
Throughout 2022 you can see objects from the Horniman collection in various places around Lewisham as part of Borough of Culture.
We currently have loans scheduled to go to Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance, Laban Building; The Albany; Deptford Lounge; Corbett Community Library; and Lewisham Library, as part of the Borough of Culture celebrations.
The displays have been designed by our Senior Curators to link in with the themes of the year. Find out more information below:
Objects in the project
Objects selected for loan span the Horniman’s three core collections; Natural History, Anthropology and Musical Instruments.
The objects can be used to launch a new or redeveloped gallery, provide a theme for activities or to highlight a collection and encourage visitors.
We can also offer advice on how to link loaned objects to your current collections, and to discuss possible themes and connections.
- Japanese shōgi set
- Ming dynasty Arrow Vase
- Chinese zhenwu figure
- 62 Traditional Romanian hand decorated Easter eggs
- Pair of Marquesan stilt steps
- Imbenge, South African beer pot covers
- Swedish Christmas straw goat
- Ferramenta, part of a candomble shrine
- Mahogany napkin press
- 3 Kayan tattoo models
- Balinese Barong Landung masks of Jero Gede and Jero Luh
- Display about milk
- Kenyan archaeology
- Horse skull
- Taxidermy pine marten
- Taxidermy badger
- Selection of sawfish rostra
- Two large ammonites
- Selection of minerals
- Climate change display
Follow our progress
You can see the locations of some of our current and past Object in Focus Loans on our Loans Map.