Child's coat in pattern-woven red silk, decorated with blue embroidered floral designs. Border round all outer edges of black silk with flower and angular designs. Sleeves are wide, three-quarter length. Front fastens at the right sleeve with globular brass buttons. Lined with green plain silk.
Collected between 1908 and 1924 by the parents of the donor, Dr E. Sawdon, when his father was on the teaching staff of the West China Union University, Chengtu. The name of this institution was changed when the Communist government came to power.