witch ball

36.173

This is a green glass witch ball with a small hole. The donor of this witch ball was Mr Leslie Armstrong who wrote to the curators of the Museum in 1936 explaining that he believed it was of St Helens manufacture. He stated that the ball came from a cottage at Billinge Higher End near Wigan, Lancashire, England. Witch balls were hung in a window to repel evil spirits.

Collection Information

These objects are only a part of our collections, of which there are more than 350,000 objects. This information comes from our collections database. Some of this is incomplete and there may be errors. This part of the website is also still under construction, so there may be some fields repeated or incorrectly formatted information.

The database sometimes uses language taken from historical documents to help research, which may now appear outdated and even offensive. The database also includes information on objects that are considered secret or sacred by some communities.

If you have any further information about objects in our collections or can suggest corrections to our information, please contact us: enquiry@horniman.ac.uk