Bone pipe. A long cylinder of bone containing a reed tube. The reed and bone are pierced in the side near one end, and the hole is built up with a lead bowl. The bone is decorated with incision, and depicts various figures.
This item was acquired in 1961 as part of a collection of material from the Church Missionary Society. Most of these items were probably originally used by missionaries when they were giving talks about their work during home leave. The Society for Missions to Africa and the East, as it was originally called, was founded in 1799, with the first missionaries going to work overseas in 1804. In 1812 the Society was renamed The Church Missionary Society for Africa and the East, and the first English clergy to work as the Society's missionaries went overseas in 1815.