421.222.11, .2, .3 Sets of flutes with internal duct, activated by keyboard

Bureau organ. Compass C,D-e''', four and a half octaves. Five stops SD, Fl, 15, Ses b/Cor tr. The organ was acquired by Arnold Dolmetsch from an antique dealer in Cirencester, c.1930. The dealer alleged that it had come from a Convent Chapel. Only four other bureau organs by Snetzler exist. Given its varied musical resources, the bureau organ was remarkably compact. With pipes and bellows conveniently contained within the case, it could be moved with relative ease. Well-suited to accompanying, its keyboard range and five stops would also have allowed its use for solos.

The organ was acquired by the early music pioneer, instrument maker and collector, Arnold Dolmetsch (1858-1940) from an antiques dealer in Cirencester, c.1930. The dealer alleged that it had come from a Convent Chapel. Only four other bureau organs by Snetzler exist. Given its varied musical resources, the bureau organ was remarkably compact. With pipes and bellows conveniently contained within the case, it could be moved with relative ease. Well-suited to accompanying, its keyboard range and five stops would also have allowed its use for solos.

Collection Information

These objects are only a part of our collections, of which there are more than 350,000 objects. This information comes from our collections database. Some of this is incomplete and there may be errors. This part of the website is also still under construction, so there may be some fields repeated or incorrectly formatted information.

The database sometimes uses language taken from historical documents to help research, which may now appear outdated and even offensive. The database also includes information on objects that are considered secret or sacred by some communities.

If you have any further information about objects in our collections or can suggest corrections to our information, please contact us: enquiry@horniman.ac.uk