Nineteenth-century framed plaster model of part of the Alhambra Palace, Granada. The model shows an central window or opening, with an arched top, contained within a larger architectural structure. A lattice work panel borders the window on the right and left side. The surface of the plaster has been painted in red, blue, and purple, with additional gold guilding. Inscribed into the surface of the plaster are combined designs of geometric knot work and symmetrical floral patterns. Script, likely Arabic, is present along the top and bottom of the model, and additionally appears around all four sides of the lattice work panels. The model is contained with a deep wooden frame and protected by glass. A paper label, with printed text in Spanish, has been adhered to the reverse of the frame. The label reads, in translation: “Model of one of the windows that today is almost destroyed in the Alhambra, but whose decorations are some of the most beautiful. It is a twelfth of its original size and in the same Arabic plaster. In its inscriptions we read: there is no Conqueror but God, and Perpetual Blessing.'
May have been purchased at the Alhambra Palace in 1884, when FJH signed the visitors' book there.