Opening of the Horniman Museum by Sir Morell Mackenzie

One short article describing the opening of the Horniman Museum in 1890 and the fact that since its opening, there have been 13,000 guests. The author also notes that the museum was briefly closed for extensions and updates to the collection it was reopened the previous day by Sir Somers Vine. Similarly to ARC/HMG/PR/004/001/096, the author notes that the museum is open with free admission on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays from two till nine. The author also mentions that Sir Vine opened the museum in the presence of Mr F.J. Horniman, Mr Horniman jun. Mr T.P. O’Connor M.P. et al.

Collection Information

These objects are only a part of our collections, of which there are more than 350,000 objects. This information comes from our collections database. Some of this is incomplete and there may be errors. This part of the website is also still under construction, so there may be some fields repeated or incorrectly formatted information.

The database sometimes uses language taken from historical documents to help research, which may now appear outdated and even offensive. The database also includes information on objects that are considered secret or sacred by some communities.

If you have any further information about objects in our collections or can suggest corrections to our information, please contact us: enquiry@horniman.ac.uk